She says: This soup is a cinch to put together. It also gives your body a nice break from the rich, sodium-laden food from the holidays. But instead of eliminating salt, I prefer to balance things with potassium-rich foods like potatoes, parsley, lentils, and leafy greens, all of which play a role in this hearty restorative. Double the recipe! Freeze it, use the leftovers for lunches, or heck … share a quart with a neighbor!
Serve it with a loaf of crusty bread and a mess of Parmigiano for a perfect winter meal to warm you and your family from your head to your toes.
He says: Whoa, that’s a wealth of lentils in there! And that shot looks positively professional. Guess that makes you a…
…Lentil wealth professional.
Use whatever type of lentils you have on hand. For this particular recipe, I only had 1 1/2 cups of brown lentils and supplemented it with a 1/2 cup of red lentils.
Likewise, there's a lot of flexibility with vegetables. Throw in a sweet potato or some winter squash, if you'd like. If you only have 6 carrots, use what you have.
Like things spicy, add some cayenne!
- 1 onion, diced
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots (about 7 large), chopped
- 12 ounces potatoes (about 2-3 medium), diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 12 ounces (2 cups) lentils
- 8 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Toss onion, garlic, and olive oil into a Dutch oven. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes until onions begin to soften.
- Add carrots, potatoes, celery, lentils, stock, salt, and bay leaf.
- Cover, increase heat to medium to bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until lentils have softened.
- If you'd like a thicker soup, remove about 2 cups and puree it in a blender (or use an immersion blender). Stir the puree back to the pot of soup. If you like a thinner soup, skip this step
- Add spinach and parsley to the pot. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread and Parmigiano.