Are you ready to RUM-BALL?!?! These are one of my son’s favorite Christmas treats. Basically, this recipe is a dough made of crumbled brownies and rum. Balls are formed from the dough, chilled, and decorated however you’d like. Roll them in sugar, dip them in chocolate, or go wherever your imagination takes you.
Feel free to use your own brownie recipe! Simply add more or less rum, as needed.
- 1 1/4 cups flour (140g)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 12 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/2 cup sanding sugar
- 6 ounces 60% cacao chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon shortening
- Heat oven to 325F degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 45 seconds. Stir and allow to sit for 30 seconds. Be careful not to overcook the chocolate. If it's not fully melted, place it back in the microwave and heat for another 15 seconds. Stir again and allow to sit for another 30 seconds. Repeat 15-second heating increments until the chocolate is melted.
- Add sugar to chocolate mixture. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition.
- Whisk in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture in three additions. Fold in each addition using a rubber spatula until just incorporated. After making the final addition, the mixture should be completely smooth.
- Pour batter into baking pan. Smooth batter evenly. Back for 30-35 minutes. Test with a toothpick at the 30-minute mark.
- Cool completely on a wire rack -- about 2 hours.
- Crumble brownies into a medium bowl. Add in rum and mix until a ball forms. Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in sugar and refrigerate for at least an hour
- Melt chocolate and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl (or mug, even) for 45 seconds. Stir and allow to sit for 30 seconds. If the chocolate isn't fully melted, heat in the microwave for 15 seconds and stir again. Repeat 15-second intervals until fully melted. Dip rum balls in chocolate and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least an hour to chill.