Taquitos are a great way to use leftover chicken! If you don’t have leftover chicken on hand, simply boil a couple chicken breasts, cool, and shred.
This recipe can be used to make flautas, as well. Flautas are made with flour tortillas instead of corn.
These things are practically molten inside when they are first taken off heat. So, the most difficult part of this recipe is allowing them to cool for about 15 minutes before attempting to eat. Enjoy!
Makes: 12 taquitos
Time: 1 hour
14 ounces chicken, cooked and shredded
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup salsa
6 ounces monterey jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cloves garlic, pressed
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
12 corn tortillas
1/2 cup cooking oil, for frying
- In a bowl mix together chicken, sour cream, salsa, cheese, garlic, cumin, salt, and jalapeno.
- Begin to heat cooking oil over medium-high heat.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp towel and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, until pliable. Distribute about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll tortillas tightly, but gently to prevent tearing, placing each seam-side down until ready to fry.
- When oil is hot (about 350 degrees), carefully place 6 taquitos in skillet, seam side down and fry until golden brown, about 1 minute. Using tongs, turn taquitos, browning on on all sides. Remove finished taquitos to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining taquitos.
- Serve with guacamole on the side.