This incorporates the best parts of french onion soup: cheese, croutons, and caramelized onions. The onions also offset the flavor of the rind which can be a bit odd-tasting to some folks. Makes 12-16 crostini.
Do not use non-stick cookware for this recipe. Nonstick will prevent a fond from developing. Opt for stainless steel, or even cast iron, instead.
If you’re looking for a lower-carb or gluten-free version, replace the French bread with mushroom caps. You sacrifice the crunch, but the mushrooms have more flavor. I don’t really consider the substitution to be much of a compromise at all.
8 slices bacon
3 pounds onions
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons white wine
olive oil, for brushing on the bread
8 oz brie
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bacon on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, flipping bacon halfway through baking time.
2. While the bacon is in the oven, prepare the onions. Peel onions, cut in half through root end, and slice thinly crosswise into strips.
3. When bacon is done, remove from baking sheet. Pour 2 tablespoons of rendered bacon fat into a 12-inch skillet. Place skillet over medium heat. When the pan and grease are heated, add the onions and salt. Sautee until onions are soft, stirring occasionally. This could take about 20 minutes. If the onions start burning, turn the heat down to medium low.
4. While the onions are cooking, slice the french bread and place on baking sheet. Brush each piece with olive oil. Broil until toasted.
5. Add brown sugar to onions, and continue to sautee until brown, stirring occasionally. This may take an additional 10 minutes. In the meantime, dice the cooked bacon.
6. When the onions are completely caramelized, deglaze the pan with 2 tablespoons white wine, stirring frequently and cooking until all liquid has evaporated. Add the diced bacon. Keep warm over very low heat while melting brie in the next step.
7. Slice brie, placing one slice on each crostini. Bake in 350 oven for 10 minutes, just until brie begins to melt. Remove from oven and top with caramelized onions.
8. Plate. Serve. Enjoy.