My mom was always one who liked to take things to the next level. Rice Krisipies treats were no exception. We could practically smell them the minute we stepped off the school bus. Sometimes they were even better when sharing them with friends so that they, too, could feel as special as we did. This is one recipe I’ll never tweak.
1 cup (240g) light corn syrup
1 cup (7 oz.) sugar
1 cup (256g) peanut butter
6 cups (160g) Rice Krispies cereal
1 12-oz package semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 11-oz package butterscotch chips
1. Coat 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
2. Add corn syrup and sugar to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until sugar dissolves and mixture just begins to boil.
3. Remove from heat. Mix in peanut butter until blended well.
4. Add peanut butter mixture to cereal. Stir quickly until well coated. Press into 13 x 9-inch pan. Set aside to cool.
5. Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together in a double boiler over low heat. Stir constantly until chips are completely melted and incorporated together.
6. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over cereal mixture.
7. Allow to cool until the chocolate is firm.
8. Cut into squares.