We often have leftover chicken sitting in the refrigerator. So, I’m always looking for new ways to use it. While rummaging around, I also found spinach, a couple carrots, some celery and — gasp — even gnocchi all of which were begging for a play date.
2T olive oil
1 large onion, minced
2 celery ribs, minced
2 carrots, minced
6 cloves garlic, pressed
2 T flour
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups water
2 t salt
½ t black pepper
½ t poultry seasoning
1 pound gnocchi
8 oz spinach
1 ½ pounds chicken, cooked and shredded
1 cup cream
Grated parmesan, as a garnish
- Over medium heat, add butter and olive oil in to a dutch oven. When butter stops foaming, add onion, celery, and carrots. Sautee until onion is translucent and starting to brown. Add garlic and stir. Sautee for additional 30 seconds.
- Add flour and stir to coat vegetables. Stirring frequently, continue to cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken stock and simmer until thickened. Add water, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes until carrots and celery are tender.
- Add gnocchi to pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add spinach, chicken, and cream. Simmer for 5 more minutes until chicken is heated through.
- Serve, topping with grated parmesan.